Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:47:00 AM
7th Grade Ch 4 Study Guide
7th Grade Chapter 4 Study Guide
1. Body of land with ocean on 3 sides
2. ordinary citizens in the army
3. could not leave home w/o a male relative
4. King of Persia
5. city-state that focused on gov’t & education
6. age of great creativity & learning in Athens
7. “defenders of the kingdom”
8. vocab term for a ruler w/ total authority
9. workers hauled 20,000 tons of marble & took 15 years to build this
10. a narrow body of water with land on both sides
11. enforced laws & collected taxes in Sparta
12. age at which Spartan men entered the regular army
13. form of gov’t used by the Spartans
14. like a tiny independent country
15. thinkers who ponder questions about life
16. brought iron weapons to the Greeks
17. Persian provinces
18. made Athens more democratic
19. open area used for a meeting place & a market
20. focused on military service
21. The Mycenaens came to Greece from
22. The History of the Persian Wars was written by
23. Which group promised to pass on their fatherland in a better condition?
24. Why did Xerxes want to conquer Greece?
25. Who became popular by giving land to landless farmers?
26. What did Athenian soldiers promise to do in their oath?
27. In a direct democracy who decides gov’t matters?
28. The Minoans made their living as
29. The Greeks won the Battle of Salamis b/c their ships
30. The Delian League began as an alliance to
31. Mycenaeans could pay their taxes in
32. Xerxes was the king of
33. When the Spartans needed room for expansion, they
34. What did the Myceneans learn from the Minoans?
35. The time around 600 BC is called the Dark Age, b/c
36. The Athenian assembly appointed ten generals who
37. The Greek alphabet was based on which alphabet?
38. Who could be Greek citizens?
39. Early Greek made a living by
40. Spartan men could return to their homes when they were how old?
Added By: Amanda Dannenmueller (email@example.com) 10/20/2010 11:47:00 AM